At the beginning of this year, I heard about Whole30 on Instagram and was intrigued by the diet/lifestyle, but thought it would be wayyyy too hard to cut so many things from my diet. A few weeks went by before I finally decided that I wanted to try it out and challenge myself – and boy am I happy I did! It has been such a rewarding experience and I would absolutely recommend it to anyone.
- Overall, my energy has been significantly better than before I started this. I feel consistently energized and alert where as before I would feel exhausted and have low energy throughout the day. Regardless of how much sleep I got, I never felt fully rested and awake. It’s amazing how what we eat can drastically affect our energy/attitude/alertness/etc.!
- Over the last 30 days, I lost 13 pounds which I am SO thrilled about! I told myself before I started that I wanted to improve my overall health and that I needed to not have an unrealistic expectation for weight loss. I was ecstatic when I saw the scale go down so much!
- I went down a pant size! The pants are still a little snug but I’m able to get them on and wear them all day fine. I think a few more pounds and they will be more comfortable to wear. Exciting nonetheless! 🙂
- I stuck through this! – and there were ALOT of opportunities to slip up or fail. I feel very accomplished and proud of myself for making it the entire 30 days. I think having this realistic goal in mind of eating clean for 30 days with no cheats made it easy for me to stick to.
I love Whole30 so much that I’m going to be starting another round on Monday! There are a few things that I’m going to change this time:
- Throughout the 30 days, you’re not supposed to weigh yourself at all. I hopped on my scale day 16 (I know that you’re supposed to restart when you do this but I didn’t) to see how I was doing – big mistake! I seriously regret doing this because on day 16, I was down 13 pounds and then I weighed myself every few days after that and the number on the scale didn’t do much. It was discouraging! For this next round, I’m getting rid of the scale completely.
- Less snacking! I was really good for the majority of the diet to snack veryyy little and to just eat my 3 meals. That was a huge adjustment! At some point I started having Lara Bars as a snack before the gym or even just when I was hungry on the ride home from work, etc. There was also a point when I started grabbing a handful here and there of almonds or cocounut. I ended up just going back to my old ways of snacking when I was bored rather than eating to “fuel up”. This next time around I’m going to eliminate the snacks UNLESS there is an actual emergency and I need something quick to eat.
Overall I love this diet and I’m going to continue eating this way. I had a few lessons that I learned and so even though I should have restarted the 30 days for getting on the scale, I chose to continue as this is my personal experience and I’ve made so many other improvements along the way that I didn’t want to be discouraged by restarting. I love the way I feel when I’m eating so clean and I’m looking forward to round 2.
I hope you found my posts on Whole30 helpful! If you’re considering trying it – go for it! The first few days can be difficult but it gets so much better. Let me know if you have any questions or if you tried it, what you thought of it! 🙂