I am obsessed with my turkey & veggie chili recipe and I wanted to share it with all of you! This is a weekly staple for me because It’s super easy to make and such a good thing to prep on Sunday and portion out into tupperware for meals throughout the week. The best part about it, is that it’s so healthy! 🙂 I change it up every week by adding different veggies to it – depending on what I have in the fridge.
- Pound of ground turkey [I get a 3 pack from BJ’s for less than $10!]
- 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 15.5 oz can of black beans
- 2 cups of kale
- 1 packet of mild chili seasoning
- Salt & pepper [a pinch of both]
- Garlic powder [amount based on preference]
- Any veggies [not shown below – I prefer to sautée a package of frozen mixed peppers, a small package of fresh mushrooms and a box of frozen spinach]
- Preheat skillet & spray with pam oil – sometimes I will add some coconut oil to give the turkey some additional flavor. Brown the turkey. Once they turkey is cooked, mix in the diced tomatoes, black beans (do not drain), garlic powder and the seasoning packet. Allow to simmer for a bit (20-30 minutes).
2. While the turkey, diced tomatoes and beans are cooking, sautée vegetables on the stove. You can choose whichever veggies you like best. By sautéing them first, it helps so they don’t take as long to cook in the skillet. I personally like the taste of sautéed veggies in the chili but you can chose to skip this step and just add the veggies directly to the skillet with the turkey. I have done it both ways and it comes out delicious either way.
3. Add kale and sautéed veggies to the skillet and let cook for about 30 minutes, occasionally mixing to help the kale cook down.
I will typically turn down the heat to allow the chili to simmer for an hour – 2 hours. The chili tastes so much better the longer it has to cook so that all the flavors can mix together.
I hope you enjoyed this post and try the recipe! It’s so easy to make and tastes delicious! Now that we’re getting into the colder months, this is one of those “warm” meals to enjoy 🙂 I’m all about ways to make multiple meals at once to save on time and this is something I make on a weekly basis.
If you put a little bit of shredded sharp cheddar cheese on top – so yummy! 😉